The new system.
The new system will involve a number of changes.
· The Authority will be the sole body involved directly in the issuing of a licence; under the new regime, there will no longer be any need to notify the Courts or to submit an application to the Revenue Commissioners;
· A competency test will be applied whereby all applicants will have to satisfy the Authority of their competence (through educational qualification and/or experience) to provide a property service;
· Applicants will also have to satisfy the Authority of their suitability on grounds of character.
· The applicant’s financial standing will be examined as will his/her tax compliance;
· All licensees will be required to have adequate Professional Indemnity insurance, and to make the appropriate contribution to the statutory Compensation Fund;
· The appropriate fee will have to be paid.
Although the system is being simplified, involving contact with only one authority, the assessment of the applicant will be more detailed. There are new categories of licences introduced, with Management Agents being licensed for the first time and with Letting Agents and Estate Agents being licensed as separate categories (as opposed to both being included under the current House Agent classification) . Please see
· Guide to becoming PSP
· Licence Application Forms
· Accountants Report.
Under the new legislation, the Authority will be required to publish and maintain a Public Register of licensees.. ^ Back to top